"MOINKS" are the perfect tailgating food and perfect for today's Michigan vs. Florida Elite 8 game. They are easy to make.....they include BACON......they are very tasty......they are wrapped in BACON.......You can eat them with your fingers.......Did I mention the BACON? Anything that has 2 ingredients and 50% of those ingredients is BACON, I am a fan of. Whenever I make these for a party or at a tailgate, I get 2 questions. The first is always "What are these"? They are "MOINKS". The follow up is always "What the What"??? So begins my explanation of what MOINK Balls are. Simply put, they are Bacon wrapped Meatballs. We have beef meatballs ---> "MOO" wrapped in yummy Bacon --> "Oink". Combine them and cover with your favorite rub and sweet BBQ sauce and we have "MOINKS". The perfect tailgating food.
- Frozen Meatballs
- BBQ Sauce
- Set up the smoker (or grill for indirect heat) for 250 - 275 degrees.
- I prefer to remove the meatballs from the freezer and let them thaw a little. We will need them to be just soft enough to pierce with a toothpick. Next, we cut some bacon in half get ready em up.
|GET READY FOR GREATNESS!!!|
- The next step is to roll the bacon once around the meatball and hold with a toothpick. Sprinkle the MOINK with a little bit of your favorite rub and they are ready for the smoker.
- Place the MOINKS on the smoker and relax. We want to get the bacon a little crispy before we add the BBQ sauce. This takes about 90 minutes.
|I USED APPLE WOOD.|
- In about 90 minutes, the bacon will begin to crisp up and we are ready to add some BBQ sauce. This isn't mandatory, but BBQ sauce makes most everything better. Right?
|READY TO GET SAUCED?|
- After adding the sauce and letting it get all Thick and Gooey, (about 30 minutes) they are ready to eat. They will go quick, so make a bunch.
I've also made homemade meatballs and stuffed with pineapple chunks and topped with a Teriyaki sauce. They had great flavor. They were much harder to make, but worth it. I just went the easy way this time. ENJOY!!